Hi, I'm Ben Rasmussen, a photographer specializing in reportage style wedding and lifestyle portrait photography based in Northern Virginia, just south of Washington D.C. Thanks for visiting my site! I've been a photographer for several years and opened Ben Rasmussen Photography in early 2007.
Some random stuff about me:
- I'm no good at writing stuff about myself. This is my third or fourth attempt at an 'about me' page.
- I've got an awesome family--wife & four kids. I truly understand the need for good photos to capture the important moments--your first kiss as a married couple, the wrinkly innocence of a newborn or simply a great family portrait to remember how you are today.
- I love reading biographies and histories. Some recent ones I've read include Team of Rivals, Mao: the Unknown Story, and Truman.
- ...but my favorite types of books are histories about topics that are a little off the beaten path. For example, one of my all-time favorite books is The Great Bridge, about the construction the Brooklyn Bridge. Another recent example: Banana: the Fate of the Fruit that Changed the World. Seriously.
- I'm on the fence in the great oxford comma debate.
- I am the kiss of death to any TV show. If I love the show, its days are numbered. Some of the shows that I've killed with my love: Firefly (12 episodes), Wonderfalls (3), Pushing Daisies (about a season & a half) and Veronica Mars (three seasons, but only because I didn't start watching until S3).
- I love watching the slideshows that some couples play at their wedding receptions.
- My family moved to Virginia when I was two and I've lived in the same zip code ever since. In fact, my current house is on the next street up from the house we lived in when we first moved here.
- I have been described as a conversational pugilist, but I think I'm more of a opportunistic dialectician.
- I write left-handed but kick and throw with my right. As a kid, I was ambidextrous, but an elementary school teacher made me pick one. My handwriting has never recovered.
- I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy (when not shooting weddings, of course :) )